Title: Live At The Bronte Blues Club
Year Of Release: 2016
Label: Records DK
Genre: Acoustic/Electric Blues, Chicago Blues
Quality: 320 kbps
Total Time: 56:22
Total Size: 133 MB
1. I Had My Fun (Live) (8:21)
2. Nine Below Zero (Live) (8:22)
3. Listen To Me Baby (Live) (6:01)
4. A Woman So Good (Live) (3:45)
5. Since You’ve Been Gone (Live) (4:38)
6. Motherless Child (Live) (2:42)
7. Back Door Boogie (Live) (4:24)
8. Why Do You Treat Me This Way (Live) (4:34)
9. Living In The Belly (Live) (4:50)
10. Walking Blues (Live) (4:46)
11. Crazy In Love (Live) (3:54)
This is an exceptional CD by an exceptional pairing of Tommy Allen and Johnny Hewitt. This is simmering Chicago Blues, and I thought it was brilliant from start to finish. Eleven tracks which would grace anybody’s blues collection – a mix of covers and six original works penned by Tommy Allen.
The workload is shared by these two magnificent musicians. Tommy on guitars, percussion and vocal and Johnny Hewitt on a blues harp (harmonica) and vocal. Tommy is a bluesman and sings the blues with passion and vigour- his blues, slide/guitar work is marvellous and vocally is one of the best I’ve heard.
Johnny Hewitt has a gift given to him by ‘The Almighty’ and plays his harmonica brilliantly; he makes the harp talk, and again vocally has that sharpness that cuts the blues. The first two tracks are written by Tommy Allen, there are six in all by him. The covers are “Goin’ Down Slow”,” Nine Below Zero”,” Walkin’ Blues”, “Motherless Child”, and “Better Off With The Blues”. ~Keith Blackledge
I hope this is just one of many CDs from THE BLUES DUO . . this is authentic Chicago blues from the heart.